Thursday, October 10, 2013

Who are they?


The Case of the Lost Buchanans

 
We are intrigued by mystery. The sheer number of current shows on TV attests to this fact. Whether fans of Castle, the Mentalist, Law & Order, NCIS, or any of the others of similar storyline, we are glued to the set trying to figure out what clue is going to lead to the bad guy’s undoing. Of course I loved Nancy Drew as well. Well, now I have my own mystery to solve. It’s not anything nearly as dangerous as dealing with bad guys or trying to figure out a medical diagnosis like House, but it is keeping me glued to my computer and occupying my mind.

 The story begins in 1960 something. My in-laws were out house hunting in Pasadena, California. While visiting one of the homes, the owners upon hearing that their name was Buchanan, said that they had a photo album which had been left in the house when they bought it. One of the pages listed several Buchanans. Before all was said and done, my in-laws went home with the album which was shared with other members of the family. There didn’t appear to be any relation and the book sat on the shelves of several houses before it was presented to me a couple of weeks ago. My father-in-law knew I had been working on the family tree over the past few years with the help of ancestry.com.
 
It is amazing to me that the album which is 148 years old has survived several moves and has been waiting on a shelf for the past 50 years for someone to discover its secret. Honestly, if it had been given to me 10 or even 5 years ago, I probably wouldn’t have been interested. But it seems as if this is the time and the place to unravel the mystery. I am using this blog as a place to organize my research as well as share the information with anyone who might be interested.

I have already gone down several avenues through google searches, advice from fellow ancestry users, and trips to the Pasadena Family History Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I will discuss these over the next few posts. Since this is my first attempt at writing a blog, we will just have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment